Are there different types of marketing?
Author: Alan Richardson
How many types of Marketing are there? Are they unique? How do they interact and help?
Are there really different types of marketing?
I come across many different labels for marketing e.g.
- Direct Marketing
- Database Marketing
- Permission Marketing
There is a lot of overlap between these. And they can lead to each other.
Direct Marketing can lead to more nuanced funnel based Permission Marketing. Combined with Database Marketing to nuance the message sent directly even further.
Useful list of ’types’ of marketing
When I look at it, I try to map certain types of marketing on to my approach to spot gaps e.g.
- Catalog Marketing
I don’t have. a catalog.
I do have a web site with lists of products. Could I apply techniques from Catalog marketing to that page?
- Could I actually create a Catalog as an ’ebook’, pdf, or slideshare and promote that?
- Could I create a catalog as an animated gif or short video and post to social channels?
- Could I create a playlist on YouTube that contains Catalog style listings?
Make Your Own Labels
I find lists of ’types’ of marketing useful because I then have to nuance the labels that I apply to my own marketing.
As an example, I was using the term ‘Channel Marketing’ to explore the difference between marketing tactics on different Social Media Channels. Rather than always use the generic term of ‘Social Media Marketing’.
But then I learned there is a well used concept called ‘Channel Marketing’ which means something different. So I now think of it as ‘Social Channel Marketing’ e.g. the different expectations users have from content on different channels.
I have a concept which I call ‘Social Feature Marketing’ which means examining the features of each social media site and building marketing approaches around those features. e.g. Twitter Storms to create a different type of content and interaction, and hashtags in replies on Instagram
- Social Media Marketing - generic use of social media
- Social Channel Marketing - harnessing the usage approaches of each channel of Social Media and differentiating the approach for each Social Media site
- Social Feature Marketing - use of specific features on social media sites to tailor the messaging and reach
The labels are not ’types’ in that you do this, or that.
But they help explore and categorise nuances which can extend and improve your marketing.
Have you tried our free online Twitter Client Chatterscan.com? Designed for identifying shareable content on twitter quickly.